First Teachers @ Home empowers parents and reinforces their literacy by giving them the tools, skills, and confidence to work with their children in their homes. The uniqueness of our program lies in its focus on the parents.
We understand that parents must learn new models to alter the environment of their home and to create a positive relationship with their children. First Teachers @ Home supports parents so they can be full partners in educating their children. Parents learn that they are the ones who exercise the greatest influence over their children.
Parents need the tools to effectively discipline their children and to learn how to engage with their children in positive ways that mitigate physical and emotional abuse. Replacing negative responses with constructive approaches changes what happens in the home, modifying behaviors of the entire family that creates a healthier, happier home.
How It Works
First Teachers @ Home utilizes a rigorous 16 week curriculum given in weekly classes that:
- uses role play as the primary mode of teaching;
- incorporates parenting skills into the lessons;
- re-enforces adult literacy via the teaching model;
- instructs parents on how to establish routines and expectations;
- creates "Team Family" for positive, healthy responses to stress;
- teaches the alphabet, math, and science through daily activities;
- validates and increases the self-esteem of parents.
A fun new addition to our curriculum is a collaboration with the Jones Valley Teaching Farm! We've created a new after-class unit aimed at teaching parents how to cook a highly nutritious, very inexpensive, kid and adult friendly burrito. Click here for the receipe!